boston planning & development agency
TITLE: DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
DIVISION/DEPARTMENT: ADMINISTRATION & FINANCE / FINANCE
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the general direction of the Director, plan, organize, formulate, recommend and implement the financial policies and procedures of the BPDA and affiliates, including accounting, internal controls, financial reporting, budget development and administration, purchasing, and contract administration; direct Accounting, Budget and Purchasing functions. Oversee policies and procedures for accounting, contracts, purchasing, payroll, human resources, compliance, and administrative services.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The general duties and responsibilities of the position are included in but not limited to the information listed below.
- Oversee, update, and participate in the formulation of internal policies, procedures and controls to govern the fiscal activity of the organization. Ensure compliance with all applicable city, state, federal and professional standards and regulations. Communicate and enforce adherence to approved policies and procedures in all fiscal operations throughout the organization.
- Directly, and through subordinate manager (Controller), manage accounting operations. Ensure the timely and accurate processing of all accounting, transactions, including accounts payable, account receivable, general ledger, grant accounting, and payroll. Hold cash management responsibilities including Bank Financing and banking relationships. Ensure the timely and accurate preparation of monthly internal and external financial statements; oversee consolidation and preparation of combined statements.
- Directly, and through subordinate manager, manage development and administration of organizational operating and capital budgets. Ensure timely and accurate integration of department budgets into combined plan. Ensure timely and accurate preparation, distribution and analysis of budget variance reports to Division Heads.
- Directly, and through subordinate manager, manage organization’s purchasing and procurement function. Ensure compliance with all city, state and federal contractual requirements. Ensure that all purchases deliver optimum cost to value for organization. Ensure that all expenditures receive proper approvals.
- Lead the preparation and interpretation of financial performance and planning reports reflecting results of operations compared to budget, including financial and cash flow forecasts. Manage and monitor organization cash flow and liquidity. Oversee actual revenues and expenditures against projections and plans. Identify and interpret financial trends, patterns and other items of note; assess and determine impact on organization; recommend and implement appropriate response including Board Review.
- Direct the organization’s independent, federal and state audits; maintain current awareness of all financial reporting requirements. Maintain and update current knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and regulatory changes affecting organization’s fiscal operations.
- Manage and control Finance activities. Provide management direction and guidance; intervene as necessary to resolve administrative or technical issues.
- Design and implement new financial management systems; update current system to reflect present and future needs of organization.
- Manage Budget, Purchasing and Accounting staff. Recommend selection of staff; provide training, orientation and coaching. Conduct performance reviews; recommend personnel actions. Manage employee relations issues.
- Oversee recruitment, screening and selection of A&F staff. Provide orientation and training. Develop performance plans with Department Directors and reporting staff, consistent with job description and qualifications; conduct periodic performance reviews with Department Directors and other reporting staff. Recommend compensation and other personnel actions. Manage and resolve employee relations issues.
- Collaborate with other division managers in cross-divisional initiatives. Lead and participate in initiatives with other City agencies or other government bodies.
- Provide management direction and guidance to the Administrative Services staff, Human Resource staff, BLDC/BIDFA and Lease Administration staff.
- Act as the Chief Procurement Officer for the agency.
- Provide fiscal advice and guidance to senior management and program managers.
- Participate in the preparation and presentation of material to Board of Directors.
- Lead and participate in special projects.
- Develop, recommend and administer operating budget for the BPDA and affiliates.
- Perform other related duties as required
Work requires completion of a Master’s Degree in Business or Public Administration or related filed, or completion of CPA certification, or equivalent experience, plus ten years of progressively responsible related experience in fiscal management, including management experience. Ability to use office software and automated accounting/ budget software is required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Normal office environment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Little or no exertion.
SCOPE: Oversee the Finance Department.
**BOSTON RESIDENCY IS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT**