boston planning & development agency
TITLE: PROGRAM COORDINATOR FOR VOLUNTEERS
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Program Coordinator for Volunteers will be responsible for recruiting and overseeing the volunteer program for the Boston Tax Help Coalition (BTHC) and Office of Financial Empowerment (OFE). Additionally, this individual will play a lead role in volunteer communications, including preparing an online newsletter, using social media and assisting with the annual marketing campaign for the tax program. Employee will also provide staff support for internship programs and internal staff development.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
General duties and responsibilities of the position are included in but not limited to the information listed below
Volunteer Recruitment and Management
- Develop and implement individual and team volunteer recruitment plans for the Coalition, including VITA and Financial Check-Up (FCU) programs;
- Build and manage partnerships for recruitment efforts with community based organizations, financial institutions, and local universities and colleges;
- Create and update recruitment outreach materials;
- Staff recruitment fairs, events, and meetings;
- Post volunteer opportunities on web and partner recruitment platforms;
- Coordinate updates to online volunteer training materials with appropriate staff;
- Manage all volunteer tracking in the electronic Volunteer Management System (VMS) and associated databases, including: recruitment efforts, training attendance, volunteer certifications and languages, and site placements;
- Work with Coalition partners to coordinate volunteer training schedules, site placements, on-site orientations, completeness of required volunteer participation materials, and assist with resolving Coalition volunteer-related issues, as needed;
- Evaluate annual volunteer recruitment and management efforts, working with partners to implement changes; and
- Plan and organize annual Volunteer Appreciation Event and recognition materials.
- Play lead role in all volunteer communications, including: volunteer opportunities, volunteer position requirements, program and training updates, conflict resolution, and technical assistance;
- Create and distribute electronic newsletters, collecting content from staff and volunteers;
- Coordinate electronic invitations for Coalition/OFE events;
- Monitor FreeTaxHelp@Boston.gov emails;
- Update content on Coalition website regularly and assist with content for OFE website; and
- Maintain Facebook and Twitter social media accounts.
Staff Development Support
- Manage Coalition and OFE Internship program, including: recruiting interns, coordinating onboarding and logistics with Human Resources, training, and supporting staff with providing supervision when appropriate;
- Develop and present training materials for new Coalition/OFE staff, interns, and fellows; and
- Assist with staff development presentations, workshops, and lunch n’ learns.
- Research prospective resources to improve tax site experience for volunteers and taxpayers;
- Collect and maintain program data for relevant grant proposals and internal planning documents; and
- Assist with fundraising events and volunteer donor efforts, as appropriate.
- Ability to articulate the mission, objectives, and programs of the Office of Financial Empowerment, the Boston Tax Help Coalition, and the Office of Workforce Development.
The Program Administrator should have an undergraduate degree and at least two years of experience working with volunteers, either as a volunteer coordinator or as a component of a past scope of services. Necessary skills include familiarity with Word, Excel, customer databases, and basic Microsoft office. Communication skills including writing are a must. Social media familiarity required. Must be well organized and able to work both independently and as part of a team and in a fast paced environment.
Normal office environment in an open space with high traffic. Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Little or no exertion, should be able to lift 25 pounds; may spend extended periods at keyboard.
**BOSTON RESIDENCY IS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT**