Boston Planning & Development Agency
**BOSTON RESIDENCY IS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT**
TITLE: DIRECTOR OF DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: DIRECTOR’S OFFICE
The BPDA plans and guides inclusive growth in our city - creating opportunities for everyone to live, work and connect. Through our future-focused, city-wide lens, we engage communities, implement new solutions, partner for greater impact, and track progress. In Boston, achieving citywide resilience means addressing racial equity along with the physical, environmental, and economic growth to ensure that opportunities are accessible to everyone in our City. Today, the BPDA uses our citywide master plan, Imagine Boston 2030, as a framework to support equity by creating affordable housing, good jobs, and open space in every neighborhood, leveraging funding from large real estate development to support workforce development and training, supporting equitable procurement policies and requiring diversity criteria for developing publicly-owned land.
As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team reporting to the Director of the Agency, this individual will be responsible for strategic development and oversight of the Agency’s equity and diversity priorities as well as community engagement. They will guide and lead the BPDA in efforts to further amplify an environment that values and demonstrates its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The position will be responsible for developing, aligning, and/or integrating a range of new and existing initiatives, policies, and procedures into a cohesive platform that will foster a more inclusive, welcoming, supportive, and diverse Agency. This role will focus on establishing collaborative partnerships with all stakeholders and be responsible for providing leadership and guidance to staff on matters related to diversity, equity, and inclusion and its impact on the BPDA and the community. This role is both inward and outward facing.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Spearhead the BPDA’s ongoing diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, which aim to proactively advance equity in the Agency’s internal and external processes, such as hiring, planning, policy development, development review, real estate, community engagement, and procurement.
- Analyze policies, programs, and initiatives to understand how they can be leveraged to maximize resilience investments and also how they may be inadvertently increasing racial inequities and social injustices; make recommendations as to how the Agency can intentionally and proactively take action to address these challenges.
- Develop an Action Plan that will contain specific goals, objectives, actions, and accountable measures/metrics that can be implemented and tracked for all Agency Departments and reported to its Board of Directors.
- Work with Procurement staff to continue the implementation of the Mayor’s Executive Order on Equitable Procurement and assist the overall efforts in the procurement process.
- Work with City departments and Housing staff to ensure that development projects are affirmatively furthering fair housing.
- Provide leadership, coordination, consultation, assistance, strategic oversight, and direction regarding all diversity, equity, and inclusion matters.
- Engage with Departments in an equity analysis and make recommendations to implement best practices and cultural enhancements that will foster a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment.
- Provide thought leadership in strategic initiatives regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion that can be operationalized across the Agency.
- Develop communication strategies to support diversity, equity and inclusion awareness and engagement among staff at all levels and within all Boston communities.
- Provide language access coordination across Agency processes, including Planning, and Development Review processes, when necessary and facilitate the coordination of language access and external vendors when needed.
- Amplify ongoing progress towards improving diversity, equity and inclusion efforts and communicate that progress regularly to Agency staff and constituents.
- Partner with vendors and other agencies to provide education both internally and externally.
- Recommend policy, procedure, and structural improvements.
- Create metrics and dashboards to ensure accountability, tracking, and monitoring of diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
- Develop and implement employee professional development to support equity and cultural competencies.
- Support and collaborate with the Community Engagement Managers, Housing Policy Assistant, Housing Policy Manager, Senior Policy Advisor, Talent Acquisition Manager, Planners and Project Managers regularly to achieve desired outcomes.
- Partner with Human Resources to develop strategies and opportunities to recruit and retain a diverse workforce.
- Partner with Planning and Development Review staff on outreach to and conversations with constituents and stakeholders as it relates to racial equity work.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and a minimum of 7-10 years of demonstrable experience leading diversity, equity and inclusion efforts.
- Advanced degree, certification(s), or advanced training in diversity, equity and inclusion related fields preferred; experience in developing and delivering diversity, equity and inclusion training preferred.
- Highly collaborative, and possesses a keen ability to effectively communicate, and connect, with diverse individuals both inside and outside the Agency.
- Proven track record of effective public speaking.
- A successful candidate will show evidence of leading organizational change, particularly as it relates to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams and within community-based organizations and environments.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Normal office environment; possible remote working environment
- Community engagement and travel
** BOSTON RESIDENCY IS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT**