Boston Planning & Development Agency
**BOSTON RESIDENCY IS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT**
TITLE: GEOSPATIAL DATA ANALYST
The BPDA plans and guides inclusive growth in our city - creating opportunities for everyone to live, work and connect. Through our future-focused, city-wide lens, we engage communities, implement new solutions, partner for greater impact, and track progress. In Boston, achieving citywide resilience means addressing racial equity along with the physical, environmental, and economic growth to ensure that opportunities are accessible to everyone in our City. Today, the BPDA uses our citywide master plan, Imagine Boston 2030, as a framework to support equity by creating affordable housing, good jobs, and open space in every neighborhood, leveraging funding from large real estate development to support workforce development and training, supporting equitable procurement policies and requiring diversity criteria for developing publicly-owned land.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under direction of the Deputy Director of GIS, prepare data, perform spatial analysis and produce maps for various Agency uses utilizing geographic information system (GIS) technology; manage data stored on the BPDA ArcGIS Enterprise server 10.7; provide GIS services to Agency staff, other City departments, public agencies and members of the general public.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform geographic analysis to create maps and databases needed for decision making using a variety of modules of Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Develop creative options to layout and present information in effective manner using GIS tools and other graphic design and publishing software. Prepare a variety of maps, illustrations and other graphic presentations depending on project/client needs
- Create, quality check, coordinate and update Agency's geospatial information
- A strong understanding of relational databases and geodatabases. Database design and management including methods of managing data and schemas.
- Integrate disparate data sets from numerous city agencies using different standards.
- Identify opportunities for future GIS applications and service deliverables.
- Expert with the ESRI suite of software, including ArcGIS Server, Desktop, and associated programming languages and development tools
- Experienced in developing windows and web-based GIS applications and map services.
- Create interactive web maps and applications using ArcGIS Online mapping platform.
- Experience with ArcGIS Enterprise Portal on an Enterprise RDBMS like SQL Server.
- Experience with ArcGIS Server, especially with authoring & publishing map services, and building & maintaining a cache.
- Assist in the maintenance of the 3D smart model of the City of Boston using ArcGIS Pro 2.+, City Engine, SketchUp and FME. Work with terrain and raster related datasets using MassGIS LIDAR and other City imagery.
- Knowledge of publishing features and maps services to ArcGIS Online.
- Creating web apps such as Story Maps, Survey 123 and Collector
- Modify, write and maintain scripts, routines and menus and for programming GIS processes and applications
- Strong Experience with standard and advanced spatial analysis tasks/geoprocessing and Modelbuilder, Python and Notebook.
- Perform other related duties as required
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Work requires completion of a Bachelor of Science degree in Geography or related field
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in the field.
- Proficiency in GIS required specifically ESRI products such as ArcGIS Desktop 10.x, ArcGIS Pro 2.0 and extensions, ArcSDE, CityEngine and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint).
- Proficient in ArcGIS Geoprocessing with Python
- Understanding of remote sensing analysis
- Proficient in relational database environments including SQL Server, MS Access,
- Spatial/statistical modeling and Statistics knowledge
Normal, fast-paced office environment.
Little or no exertion; may spend extended periods at terminal.