boston planning & development agency
**BOSTON RESIDENCY IS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT**
TITLE: SENIOR PROJECT ENGINEER / CIVIL ENGINEER
GRADE: L STATUS: EXEMPT
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: REAL ESTATE/CAPITAL CONSTRUCTION
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Real Estate Division at the BPDA is responsible for managing a portfolio of over 13 million square feet of land across Boston neighborhoods including signature properties such as the Charlestown Navy Yard, Long Wharf, the Raymond L. Flynn Marine Park, as well as significant neighborhood-based holdings across Boston. As a member of the Real Estate Division's Capital Construction team, the Senior Project Engineer will focus on the successful implementation of capital projects to repair and improve the Agency’s real estate holdings.
Under the direction of the Deputy Director for Capital Construction, lead the coordination and oversight of new and renovation construction projects for the BPDA including commercial, industrial, institutional, maritime, environmental remediation, and site development projects. Serve in a senior lead role on projects, including large and complex assignments. Serve as a department technical resource in area of civil engineering, responsible for technical management of engineering standards, and uniform implementation of methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction of civil and marine infrastructure projects.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The general duties and responsibilities of the position are included in but not limited to the information listed below.
- Lead the development of Requests for Proposals and Requests for Qualifications for engineering and design of selected construction projects. Develop and recommend specifications and scope of work. Develop and submit budget. Coordinate selection committee: interview, evaluate and rate candidate firms. Verify designer qualifications. Recommend selection of designer. Draw up and execute final design contract.
- Review, approve or amend all plans, construction drawings, schematics, documents, estimates and other materials submitted by design consultants. Coordinate process through Preliminary Design, Design Development, to Final Working Drawings and Specifications. Conduct consultant meetings and conferences to identify and resolve issues. Ensure quality of final designs ensuring adherence to all applicable BPDA and regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate M.G.L. public bid process for selected construction projects. Ensure that bidding process is in compliance with all applicable statutes. Prepare BPDA front end specifications and assemble all appropriate sections of the contract documents; complete as necessary for each construction project. Conduct pre-bid conferences with general contractors; discuss project and answer questions. Prepare and issue any addenda as necessary. Review and recommend contractor selection. Prepare contracts for signature of the Director and Legal staff.
- Conduct pre-construction meetings to discuss contractor’s legal obligations with BPDA, confirm scope of work, and review terms and conditions of contract. Lead evaluation and selection of construction methods, materials, etc. Coordinate contract execution including performance/payment bonds and required insurance.
- Supervise contractor during project execution. Monitor compliance with Boston Jobs Policy in consultation with Compliance Officer. Review, approve or amend construction schedules, shop drawings, cost estimates and other project plans up to designated authority limits. Confirm adherence to BPDA standards. Develop and recommend project milestones; evaluate achievement as milestones occur.
- Inspect sites; troubleshoot operational and technical issues; participate in problem solving. Monitor progress against timetables; investigate and resolve delays. Verify accuracy and timeliness of all permits, licenses, and other required regulatory approvals. Ensure contractor adherence to all applicable city and state laws and BPDA requirements regarding building design and construction. Coordinate scheduling of outside testing agencies for quality control requirements. Conduct field inspections of work; report findings and recommendations for any action to Deputy Director or designate. Lead weekly construction progress meetings. Review and recommend approval of invoices. Provide ongoing feedback to Deputy Director regarding project status, contractor performance and other relevant developments or issues.
- Review, approve or amend changes to contract terms and conditions. Draft and coordinate approved amendments/changes.
- Maintain and update records of expenditures against budget; monitor and justify variances. Research and recommend action on cost over-runs, draft approved changes to contract.
- Serve as liaison during course of project with city, state, and federal agencies and regulatory or inspection bodies. Coordinate visits and inspections of any authorized bank or financial institution representative.
- Serve as liaison with all applicable utility companies. Resolve logistical and operational issues. Coordinate utility company contractors performing work on BPDA projects.
- Serve as liaison with other BPDA departments. Collaborate to ensure efficient and uninterrupted progress toward project objectives.
- Compile, draft and produce all required project documentation, including periodic progress reports, cost estimates, amendments, change orders, invoice approvals, contract documents, surveys, etc. Maintain central project files; distribute documents to proper parties as indicated.
- Conduct final inspection of projects. Evaluate quality and completeness of work; ensure adherence to terms and conditions of contract and design specifications. Supervise accurate and timely completion of all required documentation.
- Review and recommend for approval/amendment all tenant construction improvement plans. Assist leasing staff with new tenants and tenant construction alterations. Provide tenants with information as requested.
- Provide technical advice and guidance to other engineering staff. May supervise Assistant Project Engineers, or others, on selected projects.
- Serve as technical resource in specific area(s) of expertise, act as consultant to other staff engineers.
- Participate in development of annual Capital Improvement Budget and multi-year Capital Plan, including evaluating existing conditions, identifying maintenance and capital improvement needs, establishing budget estimates, priorities, schedules and service life expectancies. Participate in preparation of documents for Board presentations; participate in presentations. Participate in development of departmental policies and procedures, including those applicable to engineering and design consultants and contractors.
- Conduct project presentations to City agencies or authorities who have jurisdiction over work to secure approvals i.e. Boston Conservation Commission, Inspectional Services Dept., Boston Public Safety Commission, etc.
- Coordinate building improvements or modifications with Operations and Leasing Departments. Collaborate in the development of maintenance procedures; coordinate technical training.
- Design and prepare graphics, signage, presentations, technical drawings and drafting, utilized CADD and specialized software. Prepare site and massing models. Maintain photo and video log of work.
- Assist at special events as requested and perform other related duties as required.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE AND SPECIALIZATION:
In addition to the general duties and responsibilities listed above, the required technical expertise and specialized duties of the position are included in but not limited to the information listed below.
- Develop and maintain central engineering and construction standards, ensuring consistency with City, State, and Federal standards as applicable, and coordinate with staff for uniform implementation.
- Review plans of complex construction projects to determine compliance with applicable codes; confirm engineering methods used in project design; verify accuracy of structural calculations.
- Respond to questions and inquiries from the public, tenants, other departments, developers, contractors, engineering professionals, and City staff regarding engineering of capital projects, existing conditions of capital assets and infrastructure, and location of utility and underground infrastructure.
- Develop and standardize procedures and methods to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of engineering services, projects, and activities; identify opportunities for improvement and make recommendations to the Deputy Director.
- Lead annual survey and assessment of capital assets to update pipeline of known capital needs and document conditions identified needing maintenance and/or capital repairs.
Work requires a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field. Four years of recent, continuous, progressively responsible professional engineering experience required, with six years or more strongly preferred. A Registered Professional Engineer is strongly preferred. Significant additional experience may substitute for the liecnse preference. Must demonstrate knowledge of M.G.L. c. 30-39M. Must have the ability to supervise and manage general contractors, subcontractors and engineering professionals who are under contract for performing construction or engineering related services. Requires ability to think independently and resolve problems to the satisfaction of the overall budget and schedule. Computer skills, with CADD and other specialized software, are required. Knowledge of Public Bidding procedures, state laws regarding municipal construction, and current knowledge of construction methods and materials is required. Demonstrated oral and written communications skills are necessary.
Normal office environment; local travel (spends extended periods at construction site monitoring work in progress).
Frequent standing and walking; may require occasional lifting and carrying. Must be familiar with and observe construction site safety procedures.
Provide direction and supervision to contracted design and construction staff. Will be involved in multiple projects simultaneously. Supervise or provide technical advice and guidance to other engineering/planning staff.
**BOSTON RESIDENCY IS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT**