boston planning and development agency
** BOSTON RESIDENCY IS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT **
TITLE: SENIOR PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT REVIEW LIAISON
GRADE: K STATUS: EXEMPT
The Boston Planning & Development Agency (BPDA) is the planning and economic development agency for the City of Boston. The BPDA plays a far-reaching role in shaping the City. We are a self-sustaining agency and our love for Boston inspires us to make our City an even better place to live, work, and connect. The Boston Planning and Development Agency (BPDA) is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff with diverse experiences while continuing to work to build and sustain an equitable and inclusive work environment, where cultural diversity is celebrated and valued. We believe every member on our team enriches our agency and allows us to see a broad range of ways to understand and engage with our city, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver solutions.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under direction of the Director of Planning, with assistance from the Director of Development Review: (a) serve as a liaison between the Planning Division and Development Review Department; (b) provide urban planning guidance for the Boston Planning & Development Agency (BPDA)’s review of development proposals per Article 80 of the zoning code; (c) track and advocate for established planning goals throughout the development review process, including in legal agreements and MOAs; and (d) assist the Community Engagement team in explaining how planning informs development review.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The general duties and responsibilities of the position are included in but not limited to the information listed below.
- Serve as a liaison between the Planning Division and Development Review Department; provide planning context and advocate for Planning Division principles and recommendations in resulting development proposals. Build relationships across both departments to ensure that internal collaboration is strengthened.
- Provide planning leadership for the review and evaluation of development proposals by the BPDA following Article 80 of the Boston Zoning Code, advancing the BPDA’s review process and procedures.
- Track and advocate for established planning goals from the pre-file stage through to the final phases of a project, including in Cooperation Agreements.
- Working with the Project Managers assigned to a development proposal, assist in the review of projects, including drafting and unifying feedback from the Planning Division . Work with the Director of Planning and Planning Deputies to assign a primary author for all written feedback, including scoping determinations, and track relevant deadlines.
- Assist Urban Design staff with ensuring that design review is consistent with planning frameworks. Attend Boston Civic Design Commission (BCDC) meetings as needed and present relevant planning context.
- Assist the Community Engagement team in the creation of presentation materials to explain how planning efforts inform resulting development projects.
- Attend Project Review meetings and participate in BPDA Board presentations, ensuring that the appropriate planning context is represented at the project approval phase. Assist in the preparation of Board memos and presentation materials, ensuring that the planning context is represented.
- Staff public meetings on associated planning initiatives and development proposals, as needed.
- Assist in the collaboration between representatives of the BPDA, other City of Boston agencies or departments, State and Federal agencies, and private interests in the development review process. Coordinate with the Director of Planning, Director of Development Review, and other leadership within the Planning Division and Development Review Department throughout all aspects of this collaboration. Attend relevant staff meetings as necessary to advance planning and development goals.
- Assist in the articulation of mitigation and/or community benefit packages. Participate in negotiated agreements among developers, their representatives, governmental agencies, and/or community groups to achieve consensus and make joint recommendations on project plans.
- Collaborate with BPDA Real Estate Division, and other City and State agencies on the disposition of public land and ensure the appropriate planning and development context is represented.
- Prepare reports, memoranda, recommendations, or briefings for BPDA Director, BPDA Board, Senior Management, City officials, elected officials, and/or press, as needed.
- Provide regular updates on workflow and progress to the Director of Planning and the Director of Development Review.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Work requires completion of a Masters degree in Urban Planning, related field, or equivalent plus 8 years of progressively responsible related experience. Candidates holding a Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning or a closely related field with a minimum of 10 years of experience may also apply. Current knowledge of the Boston Zoning Code and familiarity with physical aspects and historical traditions of Boston’s neighborhoods is highly desirable. Work requires ability to solve complex planning and zoning problems and to analyze and interpret planning and zoning issues. Excellent public demeanor, strong writing, graphic, verbal presentation skills, and the ability to operate effectively as part of an interdisciplinary team are needed.
Writing sample is required alongside a resume to be considered for this position
Normal office environment; frequent site visits and evening meetings and land use field surveys.
Little or no exertion; regular local travel.
** BOSTON RESIDENCY IS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT **